Thursday, September 24, 2009

One short jump to Christmas

Guess what? It's fall!

Okay, here at my old Kentucky home, it's still summer. The fans twirl merrily to keep my house cool, I run around in flip-flops and capris and air conditioning flows from every store and restaurant around. Still the calendar says the season has changed, which makes me happy.

As I see it, I'm only a few football games and a hayride away from the Christmas season. Once upon a time, twinkling lights didn't go up until the last of the Thanksgiving turkey was devoured. These days, tiny goblins and princesses trick-or-treat by the light of the neon nativity scene.

I must confess, I have already begun my Christmas shopping. I'm one of those people who see the perfect item for someone I know and snap it up. Giving is much more fun for me than receiving, as long as no one expects their gifts to be perfectly wrapped.

The reason I'm a writer is because I do not have the makings of an artist. My creativity lends itself more to passionate prose than perfectly shaped ribbons. That's why I love those colorful gift boxes. All I have to do is slap a label on and voila! I'm done.

One thing I'm trying to do is give books by people I know to people I know. Call me old-fashioned, but there's nothing I like better on a cool evening that curling up under a fuzzy blanket with a cup of cocoa and a good book. In fact, it's such a wonderful escape that for hours on end, I won't even think about how few shopping days there are to Christmas or ponder why I left the snowmen on the end table ever since last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment